Friday, September 11, 2026

September 8 - 11

 Learning Intentions: 

Grade 3:

  • I can engage with texts that include more sophisticated concepts and ideas expressed through expanded vocabulary. 

  • I can make connections between a text and personal feelings, experiences, or background knowledge. 

  • I can make predictions, using background knowledge and information within a text.

  • I can identify information from texts that supports predictions.

  • I can modify predictions based on new or additional information.

  • I can reflect on predictions to confirm or change understandings.

  • I can make inferences by combining background knowledge with information that is not explicitly stated within a text. 

Grade 4;

  • I can integrate knowledge of word study across multiple literacy contexts. 

  • I can reflect on personal connections to a text that best support understandings. 

  • I can revise or confirm predictions based on new or additional information in texts.

  • I can examine how making, modifying, or confirming predictions supports text comprehension.

  • I can combine information from various sources to draw conclusions.

  • I can infer ideas that are not explicitly stated in texts.



This week in Grade ¾ we started our first Read Aloud of the year: The One and Only Ivan! Before reading, we brainstormed what we already knew about circuses, gorillas and elephants. We also spent some time exploring the glossary of the chapter book to familiarize ourselves with the gorilla and Ivan specific vocabulary before beginning. As we began reading we paused to respond to questions by making personal connections to the characters in the book and by making inferences based on what we already know about the characters. We learned that good readers visualize the story in their heads as they read to better understand what they are reading. As we read about the setting the story takes place in we created a map in our visual journals of the place we were pictured in our heads as it was described. The students did a great job capturing all of the small details the author included! Later in the week during a joint ¾ outside gym we even tried “knuckle walking” like gorillas do!






Upcoming Dates: 


  • September 17 - Open House 4-5:30


  • September 17 - Corn Roast 5-7


  • September 24 - Terry Fox Run


  • September 29 - Orange Shirt Day


September 30 - National Day for Truth and Reconciliation (No School for Students)


No comments:

Post a Comment

September 14 - 18

  Hello families, a few quick reminders Please complete and verify your child’s demographic forms through your MyCBE as they were due last w...